Tutorial: Changing Pad Cover

I’m trying make as much of the items for my daughters nursery as possible.  So this weekend I delved into the world of Changing Pad Covers.  There’s something so nice about a warm and soft minky against the skin rather than a cold plastic-y changing pad isn’t there?  (At least I would guess there was.  Not being a baby I couldn’t tell you for sure.)

Supplies:

• Approximately 1 1/4 yards of minky (The amount will depend on your changing pad size)
  • Coordinating thread
  •  1 package 1/4″ wide elastic.
  • Changing Pad
  • Sewing kit (scissors, pins, measuring tape, etc.)
  • Large paper for tracing

Note:  Sew all seams with 1/2″ seam allowance unless stated otherwise.

Step 1:
Stand your changing pad up on one contoured end and trace it onto the paper (I used construction paper).  Add 1/2″ to each of the sides and top for the seam allowance.  Also add 3″ to the bottom.

Step 2:
Now measure for the main body of the cover.

The first measurement is the length of the pad.  Add 1″ for seam allowances to that measurement.  My pad was 31″ long so I made that measurement 32″.  (See image below.)

Next measure the width of the pad.  Begin at the back bottom of the pad up one side, follow the angle of the contour, across the middle, up the front contour, and down the front side (See image below).   Make sure to follow this very closely, and use some little pieces of tape to hold everything in place if you need to.

Once you’ve taken that measurement and 6 inches to it.  My contour measurement was 26″+6″= 32″.

Step 4:

Cut:

• (1) main body piece using the measurements from Step 3
  • (2) contoured end pieces using your pattern from Step 1.

Step 5:

Arrange the end piece so that a short edge is aligned with the side of the main body piece that will be the contoured edge of your cover (a.k.a. Short Side).  Make sure that the points of your end piece are facing to the center and that you have right sides of the fabric facing each other.  Pin the short edge in place. (See image below.)

Step 6:
Sew the end piece onto the main body piece with a 1/2″ seam allowance, making sure to backstitch at the beginning and end of your stitching.  When you reach a half inch from the turning point where the contour begins, place the needle down, lift the presser foot and manipulate the end piece only (this is important) so that the sloped edge lines up with the straight edge of the main body piece.
When you reach the end of the contour, leave your needle down, lift your presser foot, and align the remaining straight edge of the end piece with the remaining portion of the straight edge on the main body fabric.  Continue stitching and back stitch at the end.  (See image below.)
Repeat Step 5 and Step 6 with the second end piece.

Step 7:

You now have the basic shape of your cover.  Before going on check the fit and make any adjustments as needed.   For the elastic casing fold under the edges of your cover (wrong sides together) by 1″ and pin in place the entire way around.  Sew this in place using a straight stitch about 1/8″ to 1/4″ away from he raw edge leaving a 1-2″ opening for inserting the elastic.  Be sure to back stitch at the beginning and end of your stitching.

Step 8:

Secure one end of the elastic with a safety pin and push the elastic through the casing.  Now place the cover on the changing pad and adjust the elastic until it is to your liking, securing in place with the safety pin.

Step 9:

Retaining the elastic length you need, remove the safety pin, overlap the elastic by 1″ and sew together.  Trim off excess elastic.

Step 10:

Sew the opening in the casing closed, overlapping your new stitches with the old by about 1/2″ and making sure to back stitch at the beginning and end.

Your casing should look like this:

And VOILA!  You have a Easy Contoured Changing Pad Cover!!!  :)

, , , , , ,

12 Responses to Tutorial: Changing Pad Cover

1. Ali Rockwell July 11, 2011 at 10:37 pm #

I will be trying this tomorrow, hopefully it works out for me!! :)

2. The Cozy Pumpkin July 11, 2011 at 11:18 pm #

Let me know if you have any questions! :)

-Amanda-
    thecozypumpkin@gmail.com

3. InnyVinny July 18, 2011 at 10:10 pm #

This comment has been removed by the author.

4. InnyVinny July 18, 2011 at 10:13 pm #

I’m SO happy I found this page. Luckily I made a toile first and didn’t wreck my minky because I suck at maneuvering around the sharp corners of the short sides. This way seems a LOT easier.

Thanks!

5. Kala July 23, 2011 at 4:47 pm #

I’ve looked at a couple tutorials for these and this is by far the best . . . and the easiest (I found) for working around those corners. Thanks!

6. Jana February 21, 2012 at 7:16 pm #

I just used your tutorial! Thanks for this:)

7. barbie March 8, 2012 at 3:37 pm #

great turtorial overall, thanks!

8. crafter December 15, 2012 at 9:55 pm #

I can’t make sense of step 5. I’ve looked at several other tutorials and they always have the pointy side facing the other way. Obviously I’m missing something. Can you please explain?

9. The Cozy Pumpkin December 16, 2012 at 12:26 am #

Crafter-

I tried to e-mail you but you are a “no-reply” blogger. So you may want to check your settings. Hopefully you get this response! :) For step 5. You are literally going to be stretching at that side with the dip to match the straight edge of the body piece (big rectangle) for your changing pad.

So, first you match the short edge of your angled end piece to the “short” edge of your rectangular piece. (My rectangular piece was a square so that made it easy for me.) Stitch along that edge with a 1/2″ seam allowance until you get to a 1/2″ from the point. Once there, with needle down, lift the presser foot. You are now going to stretch that downward dip angle to match the straight edge of rectangular piece. You shouldn’t have to pull hard. The minky should work with you on that. Just make sure the edge of your angle and the edge of your rectangle remain lined up. Continue with this method keeping the middle section of your end piece lined up with the rectangular edge. Pull again so that as you go back “up” the last angle it is aligned with the edge of the rectangular piece. Stop when you get to a 1/2″ away from the point. Needle down, presser foot up, pull and line up the short edge of the angled piece with the edge of the rectangular piece once again.

When you flip it right side out you should have a contour to the edge of your pad. Hopefully this answers your question. You will have to manipulate your fabric. :) If you have further questions please feel free to e-mail me at thecozypumpkin@gmail.com

-Amanda-

• Carol October 16, 2013 at 3:17 am #

Thank you so much for taking time to make this tutorial. It was just what I was looking for.

10. Eleonore Pelletier July 31, 2014 at 10:47 pm #

This comment has been removed by the author.

I love to hear from you!